As we gear down and start getting our Boys & Girls Club members into a new routine it’s important to start establishing good habits.
One habit that proves to be highly effective to improve students’ learning and retention ability is to have a study buddy or a homework helper to assist in what kids sometimes view as the mundane task of doing homework. Study buddies or homework helpers are volunteers who assist our club members with homework assignments at any of our 6 Boys & Girls Club locations.
There are lots of benefits for kids who have a study buddy!
• Fewer distractions then in a traditional classroom.
• Able to focus on a specific area of interest
• Helps build confidence and self-esteem. Perhaps the single most important factor in learning.
• Catch-up sometimes kids miss things in class, having a homework helper is the perfect way to review materials.
• SHYNESS! Sometimes a kid who is shy will back away from asking questions in a classroom, having a tutor who is there just to help them makes it easier to ask questions.
Not thinking that being a Study Buddy is for you, but still interested in volunteering? Why not consider one of our other back to school opportunities? Love sports? Why not consider being a coach? We are gearing up for Football season and could use coaches, assistant coaches and even cheerleading coaches!
Prefer to be behind the scenes, why not volunteer a few hours a week to help our staff with office work or even with after school care!
The possibilities are almost endless and can accommodate your schedule!
Make a difference in a local kid's life; and chances are, there's a Club close to you!
Mabee Red Shield:
1231 North Harvard
Tulsa, OK 74115
3001 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Tulsa, OK 74106
2143 South Olympia
Tulsa, OK 74107
1400 West Washington
Broken Arrow, OK 74012
4403 South 129th West Ave.
Sand Springs, OK 74063
1721 South Hickory
Sapulpa, OK 74066
If you are interested in volunteering or for additional information contact Jenny McElyea, Volunteer and Disaster Resource Manager at 918 587 780, Jenny_McElyea@uss.salvationarmy.org or visit www.volunteertulsa.org to register!