Friday, December 2, 2011

My first bell ringing experience

Me!
This year marks my third Christmas with The Salvation Army. (Those who work here judge seniority by this and not the number of years actually worked.) My first year I volunteered sorting toys at the Joy Center and counting our kettles. Both were real eye-openers to the generosity of our volunteers and donors. My second Christmas I wanted to try something new so did the toy sorting, kettle counting and added in the Angel Tree experience at the mall. I should have written an entire blog about how much I learned there! This year I knew what I wanted to do, and this week I did it!
 
Rhonda & Matt
I was a bell ringer! I spent three hours ringing the bell in front of the Reasor's at 17th and Yale. A number of the staff at my office did too (thanks Rhonda & Matt, Paula, David, Carrie, Arnie, Ann and Rick)! I did a morning shift and two in the evening. I have a renewed respect for anyone who does it. Below are a few of my random thoughts for you to enjoy.

Smile at your bell ringer and don't be scared to strike up a conversation. So many people said kind things for me and it made me feel wonderful, I enjoyed a lot of the conversations I had.
You don't have to apologize to a bell ringer if you don't have change. Just double up next time (kidding!!).
Standing in front of all those people spreading a little Christmas cheer felt really good (if it was a little cold)!


Carrie and Rocco
Kids who put money in the kettle are the cutest. One employee told me that an older little boy came up to the kettle with his toddler baby sister. He dropped his coins in the kettle no problem and a big smile on his face. His little sister reached up as high as she could and struggled to get her coins into the slot. "It's her first time," the older brother explained. It's never too early to learn how to put money in a kettle!


 

You have lots of great moments ringing a bell, sign up individually or as a group today! 

~Lindsay

1 comment: