Happy National Volunteer Week! This is a week of Celebrating People in Action. The Tulsa Area Salvation Army saw 122,300 hours of volunteer action 2010. The dollar value and savings generated from these volunteer hours is well over two million dollars. That’s incredible, and just imagine the lives changed with all those hours given. We have the best volunteers!
Here’s what we are doing to honor our volunteers this week:
1. Thank You Posters: You’ll find bright posters saying “thanks” at all The Salvation Army locations this week. These posters were made especially for us by a local Girl Scout Troop of volunteers.
2. The Center of Hope: Every volunteer that comes in this week will receive a heartfelt thank you card and a 100 Grand candy bar. They are worth 100 Grand to us!
3. North Mabee Boys and Girls Club: The club will host their 18th annual Daddy's Invitational Tournament (DIT) run by alumni; Rocky Bright. This event will be filled with celebrating volunteers. Each year volunteers play a game of basketball, and the kids of North Mabee referee.
4. West Mabee Boys and Girls Club: The club will host a Volunteer Awards Ceremony Friday, April 15th at 7:00 p.m. to honor volunteers, spotlighting basketball coaches.
5. Area Command: This week the directors of each Boys & Girls Club and the Center of Hope homeless shelter will hand out invitations that read like a proclamation and looks a lot like the Presidential Proclamation for Volunteer Week. Selected volunteers are invited attend a Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast to be held May 12th. More than 100 volunteers with The Salvation Army will be awarded the Presidential Volunteer Award for their service at the breakfast.
6. Overall: We will spend a lot of time this week one-on-one just saying a personal “thank you” to volunteers.
If you are a volunteer in our community THANK YOU. To learn more about volunteering with The Salvation Army CLICK HERE.